Want to Be a Leader? How Can You Change Your Environment and Lead?
We all strive to be great leaders. Who wouldn’t want to inspire others and lead a group of people down a path to success? Being a good leader takes work, and this work includes creating a positive environment in order to lead others in an effective manner. So…how can you change your environment around you as a leader? What can you do? An online article from The Nation explores this topic of changing your environment around you as a leader. What did the article find? How can you change your environment around you and be a true leader who inspires others? Let’s take a look…
- Create a sustainable culture
- Be honest with yourself and with others
- Communicate to solve problems
- Keep track of progress in projects and communicate this progress
- Understand questions and ask follow-up questions
- Run meetings with a clear, concise agenda, and set an end time to meetings
- Honor contributions of those around you and those working with you on projects
- Make sure people have a similar vision and that goals are aligned
You can test your leadership abilities by checking along the way on projects to see that you are creating a good culture and that you are being honest and open with you employees. In a team setting you can check to see that you are communicating effectively, and you can reflect on your communication by reviewing meeting minutes and emails and notes in your alone time when you are free. It is a good idea to outline these leadership goals and it is important to discuss your goal of creating a sustainable culture. Team members need to know what the mission of their team is and they need to understand how they fit in to the group; people need to know what they are contributing to and they need to understand the goals of the organization they are a part of as a whole.